Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Interfering Pesky Citizens - Part 2

Here's what happens when you go to a Board of County Commissioners meeting and ask questions.

Today I was treated rudely and called out of order and made to be quiet. That's how you are treated when Ross Gallagher chairs the Board. To make matters worse both Ross Gallagher and Lynda Ring Erickson allowed Ken Wilson (a private citizen and member of the LTAC) to berate and lecture me as I tried to ask my questions. They both sat there silently letting Ken Wilson spout off that I was out of line to ask these questions at this point in the decision process.

I've spent countless hours studying this process attempting to discern how the decisions were being made as to what events get funded or denied. Since Jan 5 I've attempted to communicate to the Board that there is a problem with how these dollars are being distributed because there are not clear criteria for evaluation nor is there any consistency in the decision process. On Jan 18 I provided a memo to the Board with details of my analysis and a list of questions. The Lodging Tax Advisory Committee met on Jan 26. The public was not allowed to ask any questions at this LTAC meeting.

So today Lynda and Ross (Tim was absent) voted to approve the LTAC's Jan 26 recommendations with two changes. They added $1000 each to the Anna's Bay Choir and the Harstene Island Community Choir. No funding was provided for Harmony Hills. The LTAC reason for denying funds to Harmony HIll stated that "event is scheduled in peak season". This is a clear example of the inconsistency that I mentioned above. The Board of County Commissioners approved five other events that fall in the peak season May through September but refused to fund Harmony Hill.

We've got a problem in Mason County. Any ideas you have about how to fix this problem of non-responsive government at the local level would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it was a "political" decision not based on a truly rational evaluation of merits. Being a small geographic area, it could have been personal.

    ReplyDelete