Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Still Following the Money

When I started studying the Mason County Budget, I had two goals one was to understand the budget myself and a second goal was to help other people understand the budgeting process in hopes that more citizens would become involved in local government. I believe that citizens have a responsibility to make an effort to be informed and that we are the key stakeholders in public policy. I fundamentally believe that all revenue passing through the Treasurer's office is our money.

After watching the budget development process through two years, I've come to a clearer understanding of what I'm up against. Our legislative authority apparently does not want the public to be involved and able to understand what is happening with our money. If a private citizen with decades of experience and education in budgeting works as if it is a full time job to follow the county's budget development process but cannot keep up with what's happening with the budget - then how can an individual with a job and a family ever have any hope of understanding how her money is being spent?

I'll give three examples of why I am losing faith that this legislative body is working in an open and fair manner and in the interest of all citizens.

1. Between Dec 7 and Dec 8 the County Commissioners changed the budgeted amounts for REET 1 and Rural Sales and Use Tax Funds - but never bothered to share these changes with the public. On Dec 7 at the budget hearing the Auditor's office provided a spreadsheet with summary changes from the Nov 21 budget. That was the last change we were given. We found what the Commissioners really approved as our 2010 budget posted out on the website one day. We heard yesterday that complete detail on what was approved will be provided to the public at the end of January. The Rural Sales & Use Tax was increased by $400K and the REET 1 Fund was increased by $350K. Overall the Commissioners increased various Special Funds by a net of $909K. All of these changes may have been completely justifiable but the fact is that the Commissioners did not make any effort to keep the public informed as the changes were being made.


2. When I went before the Board of County Commissioners last week to share my independent research on the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee, I was stunned with the response by Commissioner Sheldon. His comments directed at me showed clearly that he did not share my basic concerns that the current LTAC process gives the appearance of a conflict of interest by some members and that clear criteria need to be used to evaluate grant applicants in order to avoid the appearance of subjective recommendations and approvals. Seems to me what I'm asking for are very low expectations.

3. At the briefing on Jan 11 the three Commissioners and the briefer each had copies of a draft contract from the city which they were discussing. When I asked for a copy of this I was told that I couldn't have it. Instead I was told that I should go to the city and ask for a copy. The information in this document should be open information if discussed in a briefing open to the public. The Commissioners appear to want to have it both ways: open public meeting but with the public kept in the dark about what is being discussed.

Today I understand better how hard some of us are going to need to work to level the playing field in Mason County. The citizens of this county deserve no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment