Saturday, May 8, 2010

ADAGE: Reading Recommendation

I was tipped by a friend who told me to check this site out: http://blogs.info-engineering-svc.com/larye/?p=165

A Shelton resident, Larye Parkins wrote this excellent article, "The Elephant in the Room". Larye is a systems and software engineer who helped me understand the ADAGE technology from a new direction. Not surprisingly I have more questions.

Like what will ADAGE be burning in addition to slash? I recall on January 29 ADAGE representative, Lee Torrence mentioned that there would be an additional source of fuel to keep the temperature high and steady. Have I missed it? Has the "additional source" been identified? Is it trees they'll burn? Isn't that wasteful?

Then what about the waste disposal of ash and other secondary waste? In his article Larye mentions "concentrated tannins" that may be released into the ground water system. How will this impact our water quality?

There are so many unanswered questions that our elected officials should be addressing. Perhaps they are but I suspect it's behind closed doors with ADAGE in the room. I continue to call for a public dialogue on the proposed incinerator. As I said in my blog postings in January, all stakeholders are represented at the table except for the public. Our elected officials appear to have misplaced the public in "public service".

My thanks to Larye for taking the time to write this excellent article.

4 comments:

  1. Very well written. Great Job. Thanks for the hard work. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When is the next meeting that might draw a protest of give citizens a chance to speak?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The additional fuel to keep the temperature up is natural gas or low-sulfur fuel oil and is stated in the Adage permit application.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of your comments. The next meeting is the Board of County Commissioners on Tuesday May 11 at 845 am.

    Thanks for the info on what additional fuel will be burned to keep the temperature up.

    ReplyDelete