Friday, May 14, 2010

Fix the Problems at the Zip Code Level

I don't know about you but I feel like our elected officials are out of touch with us and that public policy at all levels (federal, state, county, city, port, water board commissioner) is off track heading in the wrong direction.

As I watch the images off the shore on the Gulf Coast my heart breaks. I'm alarmed about the speed our federal budget deficit is increasing. Wall Street and the financial industry's sense of entitlement and control makes me mad. I could go on listing problems and issues that concern me but it's too depressing. And that's not my point for this posting.

Today at the zip code level, I feel like you and I are really quite a force to be dealt with. Here are a couple of reasons why I make this very optimistic statement in the midst of all these problems.

This morning I received a comment from a reader on my posting "Belfair Water Board Craziness" . Here's what the reader said: "Maybe a Citizens group whose mission is to have PUD # 1 take over the system. I hear alot of talk about this option but no action. No time is better than now!" That's right no time is better than now. Anonymous, go for it! It's your water system - not the elected officials.

My second example is this movement of citizens in opposition to ADAGE. Amazing! Who knew that so many citizens making up a diverse leaderless group could speak out so forcefully and articulately against these multinational corporate giants. Politicians also may have underestimated these citizens. Our elected officials have been unwilling to discuss the costs and benefits of bringing this operation to Mason County. Big public relations mistake in my estimation.

I can't do anything about the federal deficit but at the zip code level (98584) I just won't give up on making Mason County better. Anyway I'm retired so I'm not going away.

Have a great Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment